Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sometimes I wish I was Amish...

It's true - sometimes I wish I was Amish. Not for the reasons you're probably thinking - I'm not ready to give up a life of plucking, waxing, shaving, and dyeing, just so I could wear a black, shapeless dress and bonnet. At least not yet anyway. Here's the thing about the Amish - when something needs to be done, they just get up and do it. You need a barn built? Tell your neighbors and the next day, before the sun comes up, dozens of men in brightly colored pastels will show up wearing their straw hats and suspenders and build you a barn. By the time the sun sets your horses will happily be munching hay in their new abode. I like that. I want that.
In my house, there is no planning - just diving willy-nilly into something. Maybe it gets done, mostly it doesn't.
I should preface this by saying I love my husband. He's a wonderful man. Loves me, loves his kids, loves his mother, loves my mother. He works hard, doesn't party and is smarter than all get out. What he isn't, is a finisher. We have 1 bathroom in our house - it took him 2years, 6 months to remodel one 5x8 bathroom. He decided that our dining room needed some fixin. He didn't like the drop ceiling. So, he removed the drop ceiling only to discover that it was held to the drywall above it by liquid nails. Away went the drywall, and with it, the electricity in that room. I now have a cold, dark room with the studs and insulation showing. So far, no e.t.a. on completion. My front room has become a holding area for what was in the dining room, including sheets of drywall. I now have 2 unusable rooms. Not to mention the new windows that went in a year and a half ago - still waiting for the trim to go up.
I think that if I showed pictures of my house, people would assume they were the "before" pics. Sadly, they are also the "current" pics. Therefore, Sometimes I wish I was Amish - I suspect all this work would have been done years ago, you know - when it was started. Perhaps my husband needs to invest in some pastels and suspenders. Sigh...

1 comment:

  1. Now if you would write about the great side of your husband it would be so long that nobody would read it...

    ReplyDelete