Wednesday, May 26, 2010

WWOD?

So, yesterday and the day before were two days from hell. The temperature hovered around 90 degrees, for some reason I was doing five loads of laundry a day, and my kids were out of control. To say I was out of my mind would probably be an understatement. Fortunately, when my husband got home from work he took both boys to a Boyscout thing and they were gone for three wonderful hours. While they were gone, I really tried to give my self an attitude adjustment. I cut the grass to let off some steam, read for a while, then played an hour of bejeweled on facebook. Nothing worked. If I were a cartoon character there would be a big storm cloud floating above my head. Finally, I sat and stared off into space and asked myself the question millions of housewives probably ask themselves every day - What Would Oprah Do? I'm not really a fan of the mighty O, I only watch her when she has celebs on, and I think she has a pretty big Oprah complex. That being said, she always has little pearls of wisdom she likes to throw down from on high to us, the little people. I knew I didn't want to start a journal, I don't have a Gayle on stand-by, and I wasn't about to go get some head- clearing exercise. I also don't have piles of money to roll around in, or 15 or so, well behaved cocker-spaniels to give me comfort (I do have two dogs, but honestly -they smell). Then I remembered something from a show years ago, probably when I was stuck on bed-rest with one of my boys - make a list every day of things you are grateful for. I can do that - I love lists!!

I decided to narrow it down to the people I'm grateful for, those friends who, maybe I don't see every day, but the thought of them always brings a smile to my face. There's my friends with whom I reconnected with on facebook, from highschool - Eileen, Carre, and Nancy. My BFF Leslie, who I met freshmen year in Mr. Vandenburg's speech class. Les and I had four great years of friendship, then after senior year we went on a vacation to Florida with another girl. We got off the plane, went home, and didn't talk for about five years. We reconnected, and resumed our friendship to the point I stood up in her wedding and she's my Aidan's godmother.

Another friend, or group of friend's is the ladies of "pie night". The four of us get together on Wednesdays for free pie and advice or sympathy, whichever is needed. One of the pie night ladies is also part of another, smaller group - the "super mom's". Normally I'd be intimidated by the super moms, but these two ladies won't have it. They have four and five kids, work, volunteer, one of them homeschools, the other sings in church. Good grief - who could compete with that?? Thankfully, I don't have to.

Added to the list would have to be my sister. I don't really remember her being born, it just seems like one day she wasn't there, the next day she was. I've always admired my sister -she's a natural athlete (she swam before she walked), she's got the best sense of humor -always has a witty comeback, she's one of the few people who make me laugh til I cry, and she's always is up for picking on our brother -which is still fun all these years later.

Rounding out my list is my mom. Mom and I had a rough time of it, starting in my tweens and ending when I found out I was pregnant with Connor. We made glaring at eachother an art form. She with her "I've really had it with your crap glare" and me with my "sullen teenager, whatever glare". Things were so bad for a while, the parents and I made a road trip to look at a boarding school in Indiana. When I was 18 I was invited to leave, and leave I did, until I got engaged. I came home for five months before the wedding to an akward situation, and stayed in my marriage bubble for the next five years. When I found out I was pregnant with Connor, I called to tell her and get a recommendation for a doctor. Mom could have said "I hope your kid turns out to be just like you" and hung up. She didn't though. She was there every step of the way. During my pregnancy something crazy happened - we became friends. Huh. Who would have thought? Now my mom is the voice of reason when things get rough. I call her just to hear a friendly voice when my kids are out of control. I'm constantly calling her for much needed advice, or to be talked off the roof when I'm feeling like I'm loosing it. In short, my mom became my best friend. If I could go back and tell the rotten teenager I was that mom and I were going to be friends, I probably wouldn't believe it (frankly, neither would my mom).

So, there you have it, my feel good list. Just thinking about this list today got me motivated to feel good. I cleaned the sandbox (with a sifter - I know- I have issues), gave both dogs a bath, cleaned my house, got a full day of homeschooling done and played some great games in the now clean sandbox with Aidan. Life is good. So, a big thank you to all my friends, I'm glad you're all in my life. Although I'm not ready to go out and but a WWOD? bracelet, but I will admit I feel great after taking her advice. The almighty Oprah strikes again!

3 comments:

  1. So now when Connor and Aidan have you hanging on by that last thread just think of us about 20 years or so ago and how things changed to now. Now put you and your kids in that same position. It's worth hanging in for now, isn't it? And you have caught me more than once when I have jumped off the balcony, as recently as this morning. and now I will break into song..."you gotta have friends"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool to hear the mutual appreciation with you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw shucks..thanks sister! :)

    ReplyDelete